Friday, September 3, 2010

Desk Sentence

I’m antsy. And I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach like I just want to get up- I just want to break free, break the shackles connecting me to this hard, cold, uncomfortable brown rectangle I find myself chained to day after day. In the famous words of Queen “ I want to break free…. I want to break free!!” Yeah, I went there, the boredom is getting to my head.


For some reason, today I feel like I’m missing out on the world sitting in this chair. It's like all these things and activities are going on around these walls with no windows but my feet are pinned to the carpet. I’ve received the worst penalty possible- the desk sentence. What worldly offense did I commit to be punished so severely. I've been serving time for nearly a year, when will my sentence end?
 
Ok... OK!!  I'll stop complaining and being overly dramatic, but really, my legs were not meant to sit in a chair from 8-5. TGIF! and a big WOOHOO it's a much much needed 3 day weekend! I don't have too much planned for this weekend except for running.
 
I'm currently training for the Houston Marathon. It will be my first full marathon. I am so excited, and maybe a little nervous too! This year, because they always have so many people trying to sign up, they hosted a lottery. They let runners register for a month and then they randomly drew people to participate. I'm so stoked that I've been chosen, and now its really time to get down to business training. However, today is Friday, my off day.
 
 I had a hard workout yesterday. I was originally going to do a long run outside, but from my lovely office I started hearing the thunder roll in and I had to quickly alter my plans. I went to spin class and then ran my 5 scheduled miles on my training plan. I feel like a run after a bike is great training, because it trains your legs to keep moving even when they are fatigued.  I reached a whole new level of sweatiness that I didn't know existed. I was one of the people with a lake underneath their spin bike at the end of class. Not one inch of my clothes were dry when I left the gym. I'm sure I was getting strange looks, for some reason I always feel like I'm the sweatiest person in the gym- especially of the girls.
 
As for this weekend, I keep telling myself I'm going to go join a local running club for my long Sunday runs because once I get my mileage up to 15-20 miles at a time, I imagine it will be hard to find motivation or a long enough attention span to run those by myself. So, hopefully on Sunday I can get myself out of bed in time to go join. I get nervous in situations like that, where I'm going to meet new people, step outside of my usual running boundaries, and run with people I'm expecting to have 5:00 and 6:00 minute paces. I think that's one of the reasons I've been putting off going. I'm sure once I get out there and get running I feel comfortable and confident. Sunday they're hosting a 9 mile run at 7 AM, and I really really gotta go this week!
 
Well, unfortunately, I must get back to the pile of paperwork calling my name, have a great Friday! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment